Monday, August 2, 2010

A Big, Blue, Beautiful Splurge

My sister was in town this past weekend, which meant it was time to go antiquing! We met in the morning and spent the rest of the day shopping at our favorite places, along with some new places too. I was being so good; passing up on things I liked, but that I really didn't need. I've been trying to do that more often- I'm slowly learning the difference between the words "want" and "need."

...And then we went to the Hartville Antique Center. And I laid eyes on an antique blanket chest that I thought I needed.

This store is phenomenal. Until yesterday, I had never actually bought anything there. They are super expensive, but have thee best antiques around. The place is wall-to-wall early antique furniture, and everything is really great quality and just so stinking PRETTY! I should take my camera in there someday and blog about it. :)

Ok, back to the blanket chest. I actually saw it for the first time several weeks ago. I admired it for a good 20 minutes before I picked my jaw up off the floor and forced myself to leave the store without it. It was beautiful, but just too expensive for me.

Then Saturday, when I went back with my mom and Ellie, there was a couple looking at it and bargaining with the owner of the store. My heart sunk. That's supposed to be mine! They can't buy it! Sam, the owner of the store, told them he would knock off $100 from the price. I watched them discuss it for awhile. They left and said they would think about it. Whew. Close one. But now I knew if I really wanted it that bad, I need to buy it soon. I talked to Sam and he told me he would give me the same deal.

I wanted it. No, I needed it. Ok, no, I just wanted it. But really really really bad! Well, to make a long story short (oh wait, too late for that), after thinking about it and getting permission from the hubby, I bought it! Even with the discount, it was still a bit of a splurge. But oh so worth it.



We're using it as a coffee table. A picture hardly does it justice. The colors and texture of the old paint colors are just perfect.



I love all the curves and detail. It dates back to the early 1800's, according the Sam.





So I certainly didn't need it, but I sure did want it. But I think it's ok to really indulge in a want every now and then, don't you?

3 comments:

  1. love it! might come steal it as a matter of fact

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! If you do, bring help... I had a hard time lugging it inside all by myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete