Thursday, July 29, 2010

Diamond in the Rough?



I found this chair frame at an antique store yesterday. I didn't buy it, but I'm really hoping it's still there today because I can't stop thinking about it! It's $22 and I think it has a world of possibilities. It's in pretty decent shape, and I love the look of the wood. It reminds me a lot of the reclaimed wood stuff from Restoration Hardware.

I've never recovered a chair, let alone one that was missing a seat and a back all together. But there's a first time for everything, right? My dad and husband are both handy woodworkers and have all the tools necessary to do a project like this, so I don't think it would be too difficult... so... I'm going to do it! (If the chair is still there, that is. I'm hurrying over there right after I get off work! Keep your fingers crossed!)

These are some of my ideas, courtesy of my trusty paint program. :)



I absolutely love the look of old grain sacks. This would be a somewhat pricey option, but it would look A-MAZING!



Or to get the look of a grain sack without the price tag, I could do what Kathleen did here. She bought unbleached cotton fabric from Walmart for $3.50 a yard and with a little bit of fabric paint and tape, she made her own grain sack that looked just as good as the real thing!



I could go with something a little different like an all-over print. This French-y fabric is from Ballard Designs. And it would match my lamps!



I have a stack of burlap coffee sacks like this out in my garage. I've been wanting to find a use for them, and this could work. Eh. Nice, but I'm REALLY loving the grain sack look.

I hope I'm not getting in over my head. Has anyone done this before? Any tips?

3 comments: